Search This Blog

Labels

Friday, May 31, 2013

Stressed out? Read this, you just might sleep better tonight

I started writing a blogpost on stress. It is much longer than this and I might finish it one of these days.  Now you must understand that a lot of Stress experts might differ from me.  But that is not my problem, it is theirs!
This is precisely the point I want to make:   Who is in control of your life ? You or the rest of the world ?
Most people have opinions and beliefs that was and is given to them on a daily basis and which they embrace.  They will not differ with the dominee, pastor, priest, doctor, lawyer, creditors, et all for the simple reason that it is not done. They are the authority on their subject and they know better.  That is why I am posting this on this blogsite. That is because that is Bulls..t.  That is why you are getting stressed out.

I recently had a call from a lawyer firm's call center of behalf of a creditor   ( SABC Tv licenses) claiming I owe them money.  I said to the agent that I have not had a tv for the last 7 years and that I have informed the SABC about this fact 7 years ago. " Can you prove it sir? "  "No, I cannot and I am now finished talking to you"  "You have to talk to me!"    I simply put the phone down.

Why am I so sure of myself ?  Because I know the facts.  There are laws governing this type of interaction in South Africa and the one's most applicable here are:  The Anti Harassment act, The consumer affairs act and  the act on prescription of debt. ( I know the inner workings of these acts as if I have written them)

In this little interlude I am making the point that the 2 major stress agents in life is people and money  (or the lack thereof, or the ownership someone claims to your money)   Are you with me ? The main problem however is that people do not have the capacity to deal with these interludes for the simple reason they do not not seek professional help.  The quoted interlude happens daily to thousands of people and they will just endure the harassment and get stressed up more and more with every additional interlude !

There is an old Chinese proverb ( I love to call it Chinese proverbs because anything that I do not know the source of I attribute to them) that says :  "If you don't know, nod wisely, leave calmly and then.......run like hell to get an expert !"

Just for today:  Refuse to be a victim,  instead choose to be a victor.   Stand your ground like a man/woman who claim the right to be their own number one ! Take deep breaths before deciding to react to the other drivers finger language.  Ditto when you get shoddy service and be very polite yet absolutely affirmative in your response to claim good service.  Once you get going on this list it just seems to be never ending and you start to feel in control more and more every day.


(Read my follow up on how to deal with pestering call center agents and how to project all the stresses of the situation onto them)(shortly) 

No comments:

Post a Comment